Camping & Campground Information
2 Great Camping Options at Put-in-Bay
Camping at Put-in-Bay is a great way to experience the natural beauty of the South Bass Island and all it has to offer. The island features two campgrounds, ranging from rustic tent sites to full-service RV & Trailer Campgrounds.
Both campgrounds are located away from the downtown area, so it is a good idea to reserve a Golf Cart Rental before you arrive, as there is very little car parking in town.
One of the most popular campgrounds is South Bass Island State Park Camping, located just a short walk from downtown Put-in-Bay.
The park offers a variety of camping options, including primitive camping tent sites, electric sites, and full hook-up sites for RVs.
It also features modern amenities like showers, flush toilets, and a snack bar. Kids will enjoy the State Park beach and a nicely equipped playground.
There are two very close dining options nearby the Nut Shack & Joe’s Bar & Grill. A boat ramp along with Boat rentals and Jet Ski Rentals is nearby.
Another popular option is the Foxes Den Campground, located just a mile from downtown. This campground offers a variety of camping options, including tent sites and RV sites. Some sites offer a view of Lake Erie.
Camping at Put-in-Bay immerses visitors in the island’s natural beauty, from hiking through wooded trails to exploring the rocky shoreline.
It also provides a convenient base to explore all the island has to offer, from historic sites like Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial to the many restaurants and shops downtown.
The vibrant Put-in-Bay nightlife is a short golf cart, or taxi ride away. The downtown area has over 20 delicious Put-in-Bay Restaurants to secret from, with many open late at night.
Put-in-Bay Pizza Company and Lesters Taco Shop deliver to both Campgrounds. A convenient grocery store and carryout are located in town, with ice available for sale. Firewood may be purchased on Langram Road just past the airport, or you may choose to gather your own.
Whether you’re looking for a rustic camping experience or a more luxurious stay, camping at Put-in-Bay is a great way to experience all the island has to offer.
South Bass Island State Park Camping
Perched high atop the white cliffs of South Bass Island, the 33-acre South Bass Island State Park boasts stunning views, serene picnic spots on the lake, and a quiet retreat from the hustle and bustle of downtown Put-in-Bay, less than two miles away.
The park, the largest on the island, is free to enter and features a public launch ramp for boats and a small swimming beach. Visitors can rent cabins or campsites, with reservations recommended. The Nut Shack restaurant provides quick bites, while Put-in-Bay Watercraft Rentals offers kayaks, powerboats, and other watercraft for rent.
Swimming is allowed in designated areas at the small stone beach, but there is no lifeguard on duty, so visitors swim at their own risk. Picnic tables are scattered throughout the park, with a shelter house available for larger events.
The shelter house can accommodate up to 50 people and includes electric outlets, grills, water, and a flush restroom. A playground is located nearby for children to enjoy.
The four cabins in the park are rustic yet cozy and can accommodate up to six people. They feature a living room with a DVD player and a full kitchen with a cook stove, sink, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, pots and pans, and utensils. Pets are not allowed in the cabins.
The campground area includes 51 electric sites and nine non-electric sites, with pets permitted. Flush toilets, showers, and a dump station are also available. Groups can reserve the youth camp in advance. Visitors to South Bass Island State Park can also enjoy the island’s diverse wildlife, including various birds, butterflies, and other species.
Foxes Den Campground
Located on the beautiful South Bass Island, Foxes Den Campground is a tranquil and affordable camping destination that offers visitors the chance to unwind in a picturesque setting. The campground is situated on four acres of woodland, providing campers with the perfect opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of the island.
The campground offers a range of campsites to suit all kinds of camping needs. Tent sites and RV sites are all available for rent, with amenities like electric hookups and water access provided. There are also showers and restrooms on-site.
Foxes Den Campground is located just a short distance from downtown Put-in-Bay, making it an ideal location for those who want to explore the island’s many attractions. The campground is just a five-minute bike ride from downtown, where visitors can find restaurants, shops, and historic landmarks like Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial.
One of the standout features of Foxes Den Campground is its relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. The campground is family-owned and operated, and the owners go out of their way to ensure that their guests feel comfortable and at home. Visitors can enjoy a friendly game of horseshoes or cornhole or relax around the campfire and soak up the peaceful ambiance.
Another great feature of Foxes Den Campground is its affordability. Rates are reasonable, making it an excellent choice for budget-conscious travelers who still want to enjoy a memorable camping experience on South Bass Island.
The campground is open from May through October, and advance reservations are required. During peak season, the campground can fill up quickly, so booking early is best to ensure availability.
In addition to its proximity to downtown Put-in-Bay, Foxes Den Campground is close to some of the island’s other popular attractions. Visitors can take a short walk or bike to the nearby South Bass Island State Park, where they can swim, picnic, or rent watercraft. The campground is near attractions like Perry’s Cave and Heineman’s Winery.
Overall, Foxes Den Campground is an excellent choice for anyone looking to experience the natural beauty and laid-back charm of South Bass Island. With its affordable rates, friendly atmosphere, and convenient location, it’s no wonder it’s a popular destination for camping enthusiasts nationwide.
Top Ten Reasons To Go Camping At Put-in-Bay
- Beautiful Scenery: Put-in-Bay is surrounded by Lake Erie, offering stunning views of the water and the surrounding islands. From lush forests to rocky beaches, there is no shortage of natural beauty to enjoy while camping.
- Unique Camping Experience: Camping at Put-in-Bay is a unique experience you won’t find anywhere else. Whether you camp in a traditional tent, rent a cozy cabin, or park your RV, there are plenty of options for camping that cater to your personal preferences.
- Affordable Accommodations: Compared to other vacation destinations, camping at Put-in-Bay is an affordable option. There are options to fit any budget, with a range of campsites and cabins available.
- Water Sports: Lake Erie is a popular destination for water sports like boating, Jet skiing, fishing, and kayaking. Camping at Put-in-Bay offers easy access to the lake, making it the perfect location to enjoy these activities.
- Hiking and Biking Trails: Put-in-Bay has several hiking and biking trails that allow visitors to explore the island’s natural beauty. With trails ranging from easy to challenging, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
- Island Attractions: Put-in-Bay has several unique attractions, including Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial, Heineman’s Winery, and Perry’s Cave. Camping at Put-in-Bay offers the opportunity to visit these attractions and experience the island’s rich history.
- Wildlife: Put-in-Bay is home to various wildlife, including deer, foxes, and a wide range of bird species. Camping at Put-in-Bay allows visitors to experience these animals in their natural habitat.
- Relaxation: Camping at Put-in-Bay offers a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and unwind in a peaceful, natural setting. Whether you spend your days exploring the island or simply lounging by the campfire, camping is the perfect way to relax and recharge.
- Family-Friendly: Camping at Put-in-Bay is a great option for families, offering a range of activities that both parents and kids will enjoy. There is no shortage of family fun, from hiking and biking to swimming and playing games.
- Community: The camping community at Put-in-Bay is welcoming and friendly, making it easy to connect with other camping enthusiasts. Whether you’re a seasoned camper or new to the camping lifestyle, you will feel at home on this beautiful island.