Put-in-Bay Green Week 2016 Kicks Off Next Month
Put-in-Bay Green Week will be held on the Lake Erie Islands this summer. It will make you remember what you loved most about the islands as a kid – water, rocks, cliffs, caves, kayaking, meteor showers, moss, moonlit nights, beach bonfires, cozy camping, swimming, beachcombing, cottaging with your family, ferry rides, staying the night at the lake and nature.
Let’s do it all over again during Put-in-Bay Green Week, August 6th through the 12th, 2016, on Middle Bass Island and Put-in-Bay in Lake Erie, Ohio. Three of the most prominent organizations and proponents of nature on the Erie Isles have teamed together to bring you some great activities during this week-long event.
Experience a taste of the unique wine culture, an island-style pig roast, kayaking a Great Lake, and dedication to the newest lakefront nature preserve on Put-in-Bay. See wildlife, flora, and fauna. Sail on a meteor shower cruise, and by special invitation, explore, tour, and hike island places people would not usually see.
Put-in-Bay Green Week 2016 Includes Activities For Adults, Families, & Children.
Special pricing and coupons for events, restaurants, transportation, and entrance fees will be available for Green Week participants. Event highlights are:
• Aug. 6th – Middle Bass Island Poker Kayak Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(Rain date Aug. 7th) Fee.
• Aug. 7th – Dedication and Party at the new Massie Cliffside Preserve – 1 p.m. PIB
Activities include hiking, fishing, bird watching, and guided nature tours.
• Aug. 8th – Tour a Great Lake Lighthouse – Put-in-Bay – Fee.
• Aug. 9th – Wild Tuesday at the Nature & Wildlife Center – Put-in-Bay – Free.
• Aug. 10th – Island Preserve Ramble & Tour highlighting natural areas on South Bass Island – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Includes special activities at each preserve, a printed guide, and a light lunch at the Put-in-Bay Town Hall. Fee.
• Aug. 10th – Evening – Kick up your heels and enjoy the Lake Erie Islands Nature and Wildlife Center’s annual Pig Roast at 6 p.m. at the Goat Restaurant. Fee. Entertainer Ray Fogg performs, plus a silent auction fundraiser.
Aug. 11th – Meteor Shower Cruise aboard a Miller Boat Line ferry. Cruise for two hours, departing at sunset. Refreshments included. Fee.
Aug. 12th – Visit the Aquatic Visitors Center and Fish Hatchery. Free. PLUS – Explore the island’s many natural and historic treasures-caves, shores, cliffs, and museums on your own. Some fees apply. Lodging and transportation information is available at visitputinbay.org This is an excellent time of year to visit!
The Lake Erie Islands Nature and Wildlife Center, Lake Erie Islands Conservancy, and the Put-in-Bay Township Park District sponsor these events and fundraisers to benefit island nature programs.